Finding the right employees for your company is essential for reducing turnover and increasing productivity. An applicant tracking system can help to simplify and speed up your hiring processes. However, it’s important to use the best ATS software for your company because the wrong software could actually slow down your hiring.
To aid in your search for the best ATS platform, we’ve compiled a list below of our top recommended applicant tracking systems. Additionally, don’t forget to check out our free vendor match tool.
BambooHR SoftwareBy BambooHR
JazzHR SoftwareBy JazzHR
Zoho RecruitBy Zoho Recruit
iCIMS Applicant TrackingBy iCIMS
Matchr’s Top 11 ATS Software Recommendations for 2023
Pinpoint is a fast, flexible applicant tracking system designed for in-house talent acquisition and HR teams. Their ATS solution helps employers reduce recruitment agency spend while increasing speed to hire. As a result, the Pinpoint ATS takes the pain out of marketing your job post by allowing its users to run intelligent recruitment marketing campaigns with just a click of a button. If your organization is looking for a modern ATS soluti0n, Pinpoint is the way to go in 2023.
Pinpoint ATS Highlights:
- Attract up to 4x more direct applicants
- Reduce recruitment agency spend by as much as 83%
- Offer letter creation, background screening, and interview management
- Electronic fillings
- Pre-Employment assessment tracking
- Easy to use career portal.
JazzHR helps companies effortlessly streamline the the hiring process. The JazzHR software uses simple and attractive visuals that break down the complexities of recruiting into easily manageable tasks so recruiters can bring in more talent at a faster rate. JazzHR ATS is a powerful and affordable recruiting solution that enables today’s greatest people to build tomorrow’s greatest companies.
JazzHR ATS Highlights:
- Single-click job postings that save time while improving reach
- Reduced paperwork and the elimination of spreadsheets for applicant tracking
- Digitization of offer process that reduces time to hire
- Role Match™ Scorecard that allows fast comparisons between qualified candidates
- Reporting options that make compliance simple and easy
- HRIS integrations make it easy to import candidate information
Trusted by 181,000 users, Recruitee ATS is not only robust, but also affordable and scalable. Founded in 2015, Recruitee is a collaborative hiring software that delivers the complete solution to help internal HR teams work with the rest of their organization to hire better together. Recruitment teams can easily manage the hiring process from start to finish while keeping hiring managers and colleagues as active participants. Recruitee also offers users a free 18 trial.
Recruitee ATS Highlights:
- Job requisition and job posting management
- Free 18 day trial for new users
- Background screening, offer letter creation, and candidate tracking
- Save time with easy to use interview scheduling and management
- Career portal and resume search
- Easy to use career portal with E-verify
The VidCruiter ATS is designed to help companies manage the entire hiring lifecycle. Over 100,000 recruiters use VidCruiter to manage their recruitment and hiring process from pre-screening and interviewing through reference and background checks. If your company is looking to hire remote or hybrid candidates, VidCruiter is our top pick for 2023.
VidCruiter ATS Highlights:
- Powerful video integration to save your company time and resourcess
- Filter, screen, interview, and conduct background checks all in one place
- Pre-record interviews and review them on your own schedule
- Minimize hiring bias with a structured process
- Keep secure video record of each interview
- No sign ins or downloads required for applicants
Zoho Recruit offers a powerful ATS and CRM in a single recruitment platform. With scalability, customization, and remote hiring tools, Recruit has everything your staffing agency or internal HR team needs to match the right candidate to the right role. Zoho Recruit’s world-class recruitment software will help you find, evaluate, and communicate with candidates for any role.
Zoho Recruit ATS Highlights:
- Post your jobs on 75+ job boards with a single click
- Keep track of your candidates at every stage & optimize your process with advanced analytics
- Data privacy and security so you can rest easy
- Over 50+ integrations
- Built-in automation to enhance your candidate search
- Secure data migration and implementation support
ICIMS is one of the largest and most well known applicant tracking system providers in the industry. For over 20 years, ICIMS has been an industry leader in the ATS space. The ICIMS platform is designed to be flexible, configurable, and scalable so that clients of all sizes and industries can grow and scale with ease. The iCIMS Talent Cloud is designed so that it easy for recruiters to attract, engage and hire talent, faster.
ICIMS ATS Highlights:
- Proven and Trusted Solution that Balances Business Growth with Stability
- Routine Upgrades so that Your Software is Kept Current
- Highly Configurable Workflows
- Proactive, Award-winning Customer Service
- Unlimited, One-click Job Posting
- Easy to View and Report Recruitment Analytics
Jobvite ATS is an innovative applicant tracking system that goes beyond just tracking job applicants. The Jobvite ATS lets you to streamline the applicant process while attracting a large number of qualified candidates. This allows companies to hire top talent faster and easier. With the Jobvite ATS, you can create customizable workflows, simple interview scheduling, and feedback tools.
Jobvite ATS Highlights:
- Award Winning Customer Service
- Highly Customizable Solution
- Unlimited Job Link Tracking
- Better Candidate Experience
- Reduces Time to Fill by 27% on Average
- All Recruiting Tools Available from a Single Point and Single Sign-on
SmartRecruiters applicant tracking system is a modern, enterprise grade ATS that empowers companies to hire talent on demand and under budget. The SmartRecruiters ATS is a modern cloud based solution that works best for medium to large companies. Their applicant tracking system provides multi-lingual support and as a result, is a great choice for companies operating around the globe.
SmartRecruiters ATS Highlights:
- Versatile Solution that can be Customized to Fit Client Needs
- Assists with EEO, OFCCP, and GDPR Compliance
- Talent Communities so Companies can Stay Ahead of Hiring Demand
- Easy-to-use and Navigate Dashboards
- Intuitive and Convenient Application Management
- High-quality Support with a Dedicated Account Manager for Each Client
If you are looking for an ATS that allows you to source top talent and hire quickly, HiringThing ATS may be the solution for you. The HiringThing platform lets you integrate with job boards, social media, and your HRIS so recruiters can easily find and source candidates. The team at HiringThing prioritizes support and as a result, issues are usually resolved in minutes vs hours or days.
HiringThing ATS Highlights:
- Video Interviewing So Candidates can be screened Easier and More Efficient
- Recruitment Information is Easy to Share Between the Hiring Team, Hiring Managers, and Stakeholders
- Digitized Offer Letters so Candidates can Accept the Job Offers and Move Into Onboarding Quickly
- Reduces Time-to-Hire by About 30%
- Automatically Collects EEOC Information, with Easy to Generate Reports
- Easy to Integrate with Existing Company Web Pages and Content Management Programs
ApplicantPro is an application tracking system solution for small to medium sized businesses. The ApplicantPro ATS is a highly customizable yet simple solution that takes the pain out of the hiring process. With ApplicantPro’s ATS, you get up to date insights and hiring trends so that you can focus more on recruiting the best talent for your business.
ApplicantPro ATS Highlights:
- No Binding Contracts
- Paperless System so You Can Onboard Easily
- Flexible and Affordable Pricing
- Savable Job Opening Templates so You Can Post Jobs Quick And Easily
- Screening Questions so You Can Quickly Filter Candidates
- Trusted by Thousands of Customers
ClearCompany is a complete talent management system that helps companies quickly hire and engage top talent. ClearCompanies unique approach to hiring helps you first identify the ideal candidate so they can then help you to source intelligently, ask the right questions, make an offer your candidates are likely to accept, and then onboard your new employees into actionable positions faster. ClearCompany has over 16 years of building quality ATS solutions with thousands of satisfied clients.
ClearCompany ATS Highlights:
- Over 160 Million Talent Profiles to Source From
- Assists with EEO and OFCCP Compliance so You Can Focus More on What Matters
- Implementation Specialists to Help Get the Software Running Quickly
- Automated Interview Guides and Scorecards for Better Hiring Team Collaboration
- One-click Background Checks So That Your Screening is Quick and Easy
- Discounted Job Board Posting
How To Select The Best Applicant Tracking Software
So how do you find the top ATS software? Most people start with an online search for the most popular applicant tracking system. Just because an applicant tracking system was ideal for another company doesn’t mean it’ll be the best ATS for yours. To find the best ATS system for you, follow these steps.
Step 1: List Your Needs and Wants
Before you start the search for top ATS systems, it’s a good idea to make at least two lists of features. The first is a list of the features that an ATS platform absolutely must have in order to work for your organization. The second is a list of features that would be nice to have. They’re not critical needs, but would be helpful or beneficial to your organization. This second list will help to narrow down the ATS options available to create a shortlist of the best ATS platforms.
When you are reviewing ATS features, make sure that the ATS will help with compliance needs. Failure to consider compliance when selecting a system may give your recruiters a ton of extra paperwork to do and possibly garner your company a hefty fine. It is still important to understand the basics of compliance requirements, but having an automated system that tends to most compliance needs can ease many worries.
Rank Your Needs and Wants
Brainstorming sessions and lists can be valuable when it comes to figuring out what the top priorities are for your ATS. After the priorities have been clarified, they should be written down and ranked so that this list can be held firmly in the hands of each member of the ATS selection team while researching and reviewing different ATS system features. Guidelines can help team members avoid getting swept up in the excitement of picking a new system so they stay focused on the task at hand.
Step 2: Involve Your Recruiters
There will most likely be one or a few people using the ATS regularly that currently take care of your company’s recruiting needs. These employees will be able to identify your company’s pain points with the greatest accuracy and figure out which system will be the easiest and best to use daily. Working one on one with the people that will be using the system during selection will also show those employees that you value their input and care to make their job better, which can build loyalty and boost morale.
Step 3: Use a Software Match Tool
Matchr offers a free software match tool that can help you to find the top ATS platforms for your company. You’ll need to answer some questions about your organization and your specific needs, but we can then use that information to make suggestions for the best applicant tracking systems for you. We’ve spent hundreds of hours analyzing different applicant tracking systems and working with vendors so that we can share that knowledge with HR professionals and recruiters.
Step 4: Make a Shortlist of Top ATS Systems
The list of applicant tracking systems that can meet your needs may be long. This means that you’ll need to narrow down that list so you’re not spending too much time on demos. Use your list of “nice to haves” to eliminate any software options that meet all of your needs but not your wants. You should also research the vendor. Make sure to look for reviews left by others so you can see what their experiences were.
Look for Vendors with Quality Customer Support
Many vendors offer support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, but this offering is worthless if the support available is not high quality. Read reviews submitted by other companies using the systems on your shortlist and even talk to some of those companies if you can find an appropriate context. Make sure that once you commit to an ATS, you will be able to implement and use the system to your greatest advantage, receiving timely and high-quality assistance when you need it.
Step 5: Ask Vendors for Demonstrations
Once you have a shortlist, you can start asking for demonstrations and taking advantage of the free trials that they may offer. It’s important to see how a system works in your environment. It’s also a good idea for recruiters and any employees who will use the system to try it out and give feedback.
Be Difficult During Demonstrations
Don’t be difficult just for the sake of being difficult, but put pressure on the vendor representative to show you the ins and outs of what the system can do. Make sure that employee candidates will have an easy time applying and recruiters will have an easy time making hiring decisions and moving information around. Intentionally make mistakes so that you can see how easy it is to recover from them.
Step 6: Select the Best ATS Software
Once you’ve had a chance to ask questions, see how each applicant tracking system works, and try them out for yourself, it’s time to make your selection. You can always ask for a second demonstration if necessary. It’s more important to take your time and invest in the right system than to rush the decision and then have to go through the entire process again later to replace it.
What Are the Different Types of Applicant Tracking Systems?
Applicant tracking systems are available in two different operations: stand-alone and integrated. Which one you choose will depend on your company’s needs, the operating costs, and if you want a system that can easily work with other software.
Stand-alone applicant tracking systems usually focus on one aspect of HR services. This type of ATS is better suited for companies that have very unique applicant tracking needs.
HR Management Suite With Integrated ATS
This type of applicant tracking system is seen as an all-in-one solution that combines HRIS systems with ATS software. Having these two systems together streamlines HR and hiring processes and makes it easier to manage HR administration.
ATS Software vs Recruiting Software
ATS and recruiting software seem to offer similar features. However, ATS systems filter, manage, and analyze potential candidates for open positions. On the other hand, recruiting software is better suited for recruiting companies and enterprise businesses as it focuses on task management, public relations, social recruiting, and billing solutions.
ATS vs CRM
An ATS system optimizes the hiring process while a CRM is designed to build relationships between potential candidates and company recruiters. Unless your company is a staffing agency, an ATS will be more efficient for most businesses.
What Are the Benefits of an Applicant Tracking System?
Applicant tracking systems offer a variety of benefits that enable companies to attract top talent, sort through resumes and applicants faster, and streamline the entire hiring process. Below are additional benefits that can help you make a decision about ATS systems.
Customized Recruitment Process
When your company is preparing to hire for new positions, you can create a customized recruitment process that completely fits your needs. Choose how and where you want to advertise your job and develop a hiring process that matches current company workflows.
ATS systems allow you to add template job descriptions into the software, which makes posting open positions easier. Select which platforms you want to share your job posting on and the ATS system automatically uploads them to each site.
With all applicant resumes and information gathered into one system, it makes data management easier and more efficient. Additionally, ATS systems can accommodate all new-hire paperwork into the online system, allowing new employees to quickly sign important documents at one time.
Applicant Scoring and Ranking
You can add specific filters, job skills, and keyword searches to the ATS software to help sort, score, and rank applicants as quickly as possible. Once the applicants are ranked, you can start interviewing the best candidates for the job based on their score and rank.
Recruiting Analytics and Reporting
ATS systems can compile hiring data that create enhanced reports. These reports help you see your hiring stats so you can improve your hiring strategy, making the entire process more effective.
Boosting HR Efficiency
With ATS software, HR administrators can hire faster, find better candidates, improve communication, and more. This saves your company time and money since the hiring process is quicker and easier.
Most Important Features when analyzing the Best ATS Software?
ATS systems offer various features and benefits that make finding and hiring new employees easier. However, the features you need depend on your company processes, business size, and how you want the system to help you.
Some important ATS features can include:
- Job board integration — Easily add your job postings to job boards that are linked to your software.
- Application tracking — You can track how many applicants have applied for the job and monitor their progress through the hiring process.
- Resume parsing — Turn submitted documents into a digital format that works within your software. Then, scan them and sort them based on different factors.
- Interview tools — Interview tools can include video interviews, predetermined interview questions, company culture information, and more that make the interview process easier for both your company and applicants.
- Candidate messaging — You can message potential candidates within the ATS system to keep communication clear and all messages in one place.
- Chatbots — When a potential employee is applying for a job in your company, a chatbot can be added to the site to help answer any questions they have while submitting their information.
- Company profile — You can include a company profile along with your job posting to help candidates determine if the job is a good fit on both sides.
- Reporting and analytics — Get detailed reports and analysis of your recruitment processes to help identify inefficiencies and areas that need improvement.
- Cloud storage — Cloud-based ATS systems help you easily save applicant information and resumes in an external storage space until you need them again.
- Internal candidate portal — Job openings aren’t only for new employees. You can add an internal candidate portal to your ATS software to open up positions to your current team.
- Employee referral tool — Sometimes, your employees are the best resource for finding new talent. Adding an employee referral tool to your ATS software makes it simple for employees to submit new candidates to the company.
You may not need all of these features in your ATS system, but each of them has the potential to make hiring new employees much easier.
How Much Does a Top ATS Software Cost?
The cost of ATS software plays a big role in which system a company chooses. ATS systems are offered on two platforms: cloud-based and on-premise. A cloud-based ATS system is supported on eternal servers and the company pays — usually monthly — to access the remote server. On-premise ATS software works from a server stored at your facility and incurs additional costs, since your company is responsible for every aspect of the server.
ATS software costs also vary based on the features you add to your system and which pricing model you use. ATS prices can range anywhere from $25 per user up to around $400 for monthly plans, based on the options you choose.
What Are the Different Pricing Models?
ATS pricing models are broken up into three categories: pay per user, pay per job opening, and a flat fee option. The pricing model you choose will depend on your company’s needs and how often you need to use the ATS system.
Pay Per User
The pay-per-user pricing model is based on how many employees you have using the ATS software. Smaller companies may only have one or two HR employees accessing the system while larger businesses and corporations might have a dozen or so employees operating in the software. This pricing option is typically charged monthly and, depending on the vendor, prices can range from $60 to $100 per user.
Pay Per Job Opening
Some companies only use an ATS system when they want to post a new job, meaning they only pay when they have a new position to post. This service is usually priced between $5 and $20 per job posting, depending on which ATS vendor you choose.
Some ATS vendors offer a flat monthly fee for their services, but this option is not standard for ATS systems. In addition to the monthly fee, there is usually a one-time installation fee to get started with the software. Flat-fee pricing models are mostly used for small and midsize companies, and prices typically run around $350 a month.
Considerations When Purchasing Applicant Tracking Software
System costs and company needs aren’t the only factors to consider when purchasing applicant tracking software. You want a system that is easy to use, simple to implement, and can integrate with your current software.
Ease of Use
If a system is hard to understand and implement, people aren’t going to want to use it. As you are researching ATS vendor options, look for software that is easy to use, simple to set up, and intuitive. When an ATS system is used with only minimal training, it can save you time and money since you don’t have to set up more training courses.
A lot of HRIS vendors offer different pricing options. Some vendors offer different packages with more features in the higher-priced options. Other vendors offer subscription services with a cost per month based on the number of employees. You will need to decide not just on an overall budget for the HRIS but also whether that budget is for one lump sum paid up-front or whether it can be put instead towards a monthly cost.
ATS systems usually need to be integrated into software a company already uses. With this in mind, search for ATS software that can easily pair with the systems you already have in place, such as billing, payroll, and more.
Adding ATS software to existing systems takes time and dedicated resources. When you are looking to buy an applicant tracking system for your company, ensure that you have enough time to properly implement the software.
Future Trends in ATS Software
ATS systems are quickly becoming an integral part of business hiring practices. As more companies adopt this software, it is important to look ahead to future trends to see how processes may evolve.
Social recruiting is when companies take advantage of social media sites to advertise open positions within their corporation. An ATS system can make social recruiting easier by creating a workflow process, allowing companies to on social sites faster and more efficiently, determining which social media sites are most effective for recruiting, and connecting your hiring team with potential applicants.
Considering the prevalence, reach and traction of social media sites, companies should take advantage of social recruiting to help them find new employees.
Remote companies have the unique benefit of being able to hire employees from anywhere in the world. However, that can make finding the right candidates even more difficult. As more companies move to a remote workforce, ATS software makes remote recruiting easier.
Video interviewing is a great option for remote recruiting as well as general hiring practices. With these video options, you can quickly connect with applicants located anywhere without leaving your office. Additionally, you can choose between one-way and two-way interviews, meaning the applicant can record themselves answering pre-determined questions or you can meet with them across the screen.
Artificial intelligence can be used to handle mundane and repetitive tasks associated with the hiring process. Currently, AI software can be used to sort and evaluate applicants and resumes, helping you find the best candidates faster. AI can also track and analyze your recruitment system to find pain points and inefficiencies, allowing you to continually improve your recruitment process.
Web-Based and Mobile-First Platforms
You’re unlikely to encounter a person who isn’t digitally connected through their phone. Most of your applicants will apply for the job through a mobile app or a web-based phone browser, so having these platforms in place making applying for jobs easier while also reducing the time it takes you to find new candidates.
Additional Tips and Information on Selecting the Best Applicant Tracking Systems
As you move forward in deciding which ATS system is right for your business, there is additional information you may want to consider.
What Is a Candidate Management System?
A candidate management system is just another name for ATS software. It helps you source and attract candidates, review resumes, compile an applicant database, manage communications, interview candidates, and onboard new employees.
Is Open-Source Recruitment Software Right for Your Company?
With open-source recruitment software, you receive a source code that allows you to develop your software manually. This option isn’t right for every company since you skilled developers to make it work, but the software can save businesses more money in the long run.
Open-source recruitment software has a variety of features to consider, including:
- Freedom to make small changes to the system
- Needing development experts to implement, update, and maintain the software
- Possible lack of customer support since you run the system yourself
- Getting comprehensive services with the higher costs of other software options
Evaluate all these options to determine if open-source recruitment software is right for your company.
How to Evaluate and Select the Best Cloud-Based Applicant Tracking System
Cloud-based ATS systems are becoming more popular than on-premise solutions and many companies are switching over to these digital platforms.
When you are looking to implement cloud-based ATS software, consider the following features:
- Style and intuitiveness — Choose a dashboard style that adequately represents your company.
- Sourcing model — Some cloud-based ATS options can easily integrate with certain job boards, social media sites, and career pages, helping you source more job applicants.
- System security — Cloud-based ATS systems decrease the risk of internal breaches, but you will want to use stricter encryption and cybersecurity measures to protect your software.
- Language and cultural support — Consider a cloud-based ATS system that supports multiple language and culture options if you plan to operate in different areas.
- System costs — A cloud-based ATS system is usually billed as SaaS software. This means you’ll pay for services monthly which may make system costs more affordable.
What You Should Know About Resume Parsing
Resume parsing is when AI systems convert resumes, CVs, and other candidate documentation into a digital format that works within an ATS system. Once the documents are converted, the system quickly scans for experience, education, and specific job-related skills. This scan filters out unqualified candidates and compiles the best-suited applicants for the job, speeding up the hiring process by putting top talent at the top of the list.
Need Help Choosing the Best ATS Software for Your Business?
Finding and hiring top talent for your company can be a daunting task. ATS systems make this process easier and more efficient, saving companies time and money in the long run. However, choosing the right ATS system for your company may be difficult without guidance. The Matchr team offers hand-picked ATS recommendations based on your company’s unique needs, taking the hassle out of finding a system by yourself.
Tools & services for the human resources so managers in your company to find the right candidate for the job. With the right tool, you’ll get the right app! When you need ATS software for your company, we’re here to match you with the right one.
To find the best applicant tracking system for your company, use Matchr’s Software Match Tool today.